Chamomile tea has multiple health benefits to offer. For me, it’s the best soother after a tiring day at work.
The Egyptians, Romans and Greeks have been using chamomile since ages owing to its excellent antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. However, it was only lately that it has grown into a popular green tea infusion and health drink, when its numerous benefits were discovered.
Benefits of Chamomile Tea
- Treating wounds and cuts – Chamomile is rich in antioxidants and is an excellent antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory herb. This makes it a great remedy for treating wounds and cuts wherein it helps expedite the healing process. In fact, Egyptians, Romans and Greeks was used as a common treatment for cuts and wounds.
- Great for Diabetes – Chamomile helps treat hyperglycemia and people suffering from diabetes.
- Treating common cold – The antibacterial property of chamomile makes the chamomile tea a great choice for treating common cold and flu. When consumed regularly, especially during the winter months, it helps keep cold at bay.
- Soothe menstrual cramps – Various studies have shown that drinking chamomile tea help increase the urine levels of a compound called glycine, which calms muscle spasms. Hence, this tea is a great home remedy for menstrual cramps.
- For soothing stomach aches – Chamomile tea helps relax and soothe the intestinal lining and muscles thus helping with digestion problems. It’s also an effective treatment for upset stomach, especially for people suffering from irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).
- For sound sleep – Chamomile tea is known to have mild sedative effects and therefore makes for a great drink that promotes sleep. Drinking chamomile tea regularly helps calm restlessness both in the mind and body thus helping people sleep.
- For hemorrhoids – Various studies have shown that drinking chamomile tea regularly, be it once a day, helps relieve hemorrhoids. In fact, chamomile tea is considered to be a natural home remedy for treating hemorrhoids.
- Helps fight cancer – Although there have been a large number of studies on proving chamomile tea to help reverse the process of abnormal cell growth in cancers, there’s still a long way to go before this fact is completely proven. However, drinking chamomile tea can only do benefits for those suffering from cancer.
- Get great skin – Owing to its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, chamomile tea helps clearing various kinds of skin problems such as allergies, acne, eczema, etc. Drinking chamomile tea can certainly do wonders for your skin.
One can either buy chamomile tea online or from a reputed brick and mortar tea store or can buy green tea online and then prepare the infusion on their own. Although chamomile tea is easily available in India, its important that the quality of the green tea used be carefully checked to ensure the best results from drinking the tea.