No one actually contemplates the actual complications around packing up and moving out. When you are packing your belongings for DC storage, you need to have a little foresight and planning ahead. There is a method to the process and if you plan on continuing to access your belongings while they are in storage, you need to have it all planned to the last detail.
Although many storage services offer packing as part of their services, you will have to pay extra for it in most case scenarios, and you would probably end up doing most of the packing yourself.
The most important factor to keep in mind when you pack your things for storage is you will need to access them at some point in the future. There is actually no point in just squeezing everything you find into containers if you end up incapable of accessing the stuff you need. So, pack in a way that makes accessibility easier for you. By spending a little time in planning for your packing, you will eventually save infinitely in time and energy. Be sure to have your inventory listing out everything and their location while you pack. Basically, by planning ahead, you just make things easier for yourself.
Here are some pointers that will help you develop a perspective on how to pack your things for DC Storage in the most effective manner.
- Try to get a rough estimate of the value of the things you store. This will help you to set up your insurance policy and assess for any kind of damage you may incur during transit or storage.
- You don’t have to put up with the packing material or boxes offered by the storage company. If you feel the quality is substandard, invest in high quality boxes and packing material from another source. You can thank yourself later.
- Filling up your boxes, you need to achieve a fine balance. While you need to ensure that the boxes are packed to full capacity to minimize damages, remember that they need to be carried and lifted around, so don’t make them too heavy. Also, when you are setting up your boxes for storage at the facility, you will probably be stacking the boxes on top of each other to save rental space. Make sure that the boxes that are not fully packed are placed on top.
- Labeling will save your life. Mark everything clearly and make sure that you will be able to find anything you need quickly without making a mess.
- Some appliances need special care prior to being packed. Make sure your refrigerators and freezers are defrosted and dried thoroughly prior to being packed and shipped off to storage. This will avoid moisture residual and any damages incurred as a result of it.
- Of course, it’s obvious that mirrors and glass need to be handled gently. Don’t take any chances and double wrap them in bubble wrap. Mark the box they are in as “Fragile.”
- If you are planning to store your tools and metal belongings for an extensive period of time in DC storage , make sure you wipe down with oil to prevent the formation of rust. Similarly, leather items need to be treated with a leather conditioner prior to storage.
Remember, getting in touch with a reputed firm offering storage and transportation solution is always recommended as doing tasks on your own might not always bear fruitful results. With the help of an expert, you can be assured of doing it right.