You might have a great car, but maybe on some days it just doesn’t feel as powerful as it could be. Even if everything else inside the vehicle is perfect, feeling like your car could work just a bit harder is likely to motivate you to want to boost your engine. Fortunately, there are a few ways out there to do that on your own at home to improve the overall performance of your car. Here are some of the ways to do this and hopefully give you the kind of power that you are hoping for.
1. One of the cheapest ways to enhance your car power is to purchase and install a performance air filter. There are a few different types out there to choose from depending on what kind of car you have and how much you want to spend. A regular air filter in your average car is made from a paper material, which does get the job done in keeping your engine clean, but a performance one can do you one better. Generally, they are made from a cotton material or oiled foam, but they can last almost forever and noticeably keep your car running stronger and better.
2. A performance exhaust system is another addition that you can bring to your car. The function of this tool is to get rid of and excrete all the extra gas that your regular exhaust system probably isn’t getting. Typically, the performance exhaust systems are made out of stainless steel and are guaranteed to last for a lifetime. So, the good news is you will likely only have to buy one of these once, and then you will be all set. Some of these systems can create a lot of noise, however this is occasionally the appeal to car owners. It gives it that sound that dominates the roads, but if that is not something that you want then there are versions available with sound reductions.
3. Buying a cold air feed is something else that might be useful to you when you are in search of ways to give your car a makeover. When air is cold it is a lot denser, which allows your engine to host more volatile mixes in the combustion chambers, and that will give it much more power. Usually, these are installed by connecting the cold air feed from the filter to behind the grille, but if you do this it is important to make sure that it won’t get in the way of the engine or suck up any of its water. In stores, these items can range in price, but you can find them as cheap as about $50 for an introduction kit.
4. Putting in a high performance catalytic converter is yet another option to give your car more horsepower. The main function of one of these is to boost the overall processing of your car’s engine, which is a step up from the standard catalytic converters. This is probably one of your cheapest options as for what to buy, but unless you add in some of the other things with it then it’s not going to be as strong as you’d like.
5. Believe it or not, switching out your tires can also make a huge difference in your car’s power. If you change out the tires you have now with some shorter ones, this will give your car the ability to increase its acceleration. Just keep in mind that these may not be cheap, so definitely consider this for your town car as opposed to your heavy-duty country car.
Written by the staff at KB Tire & Auto. KB Tire & Auto is the leading expert in auto repair Moberly MO has to offer.